Peer Mentoring Program
S-STEM Peer Mentoring Program Application 2017
The California State University, San Bernardino’s S-STEM Scholarship Program is funded by the National Science Foundation to support transfer students majoring in STEM disciplines. These high potential undergraduate transfer scholars are pursing degrees in biology, chemistry/biochemistry, computer science/engineering, geology, mathematics or physics.
Individuals selected to be S-STEM Peer Mentors will be responsible for mentoring approximately 4-5 of these S-STEM Scholars for the entirety of the 2017-2018 academic year. Hourly compensation of $12 will be provided.
- Attending all day training and orientation sessions on September 12th and 13th;
- Hosting weekly meetings with your assigned S-STEM scholars the first 8 weeks of each quarter, each week totaling at least 3 hours;
- Sharing and presenting your research to the S-STEM scholars, both in informal and formal settings;
- Providing valuable advice to scholars on topics including, but not limited to: course registration, schedule maintenance, time management, assistance writing papers, assistance with homework when applicable, etc.;
- Keeping track of student attendance and participation;
- Completion of quarterly reports and surveys, to be turned in to the OSR no later than the 10th week of each academic quarter; and
- Others as assigned.
- Enrollment at CSUSB with a declared major in Biology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Computer Science/Engineering, Geological Sciences, Mathematics, or Physics. Other closely related fields may be considered on a case by case basis.
- Must be a citizen of the United States, National of the United States (as defined in section 101 (a)of the Immigration and Nationality Act), alien admitted as refugee under Section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence at the time of submitting your application.
- Must have experience conducting research in one of the STEM disciplines.
- Must have and maintain a cumulative and quarterly GPA of at least 3.0.
The S-STEM Program and the OSR appreciate your interest in the 2017-2018 academic year Peer Mentoring program. To apply, please visit the online application form.
Dr. Francisca Beer
Director of OSR
Interim Dean of Graduate Studies